It's Rangers v Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League final 2022 in Seville on Wednesday 18th May. Here's some great Rangers v German opposition moments in pictures from @AlexHTheMAX.
1. Below: Eintracht Frankfurt stopped Rangers getting to the 1960 European Cup final at Hampden v Real Madrid (Eintracht won in the semi final on a 12-4 aggregate before going down to Real 7-3 in the Glasgow final). This was a chance for revenge for that competitive defeat a year later in a Challenge match to launch the Hampden Park floodlights. Eintracht won 3-2 in front of nearly 105,000 fans.
2. Below: The scene before the European Cup Winners Cup Semi-final, 2nd leg: Rangers v Bayern Munich, Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow, 19th April 1972. Rangers won 2-0 for a 3-1 aggregate and it was then onto beat Moscow Dynamo 3-2 in the final in Barcelona.
3. Below: John Greig powers through v Bayern at Ibrox 2 years before the CWC last four win versus the same club. In 1972 Celtic lost to Inter Milan on penalties at Celtic Park in a European Cup semi-final after a 0-0 aggregate draw. On the same night, Rangers would beat Bayern in Glasgow. In this pictured tie below however, the Germans won on aggregate in the Fairs Cup.
©The Football History Boys, 2022
4. Below: Rangers beat RB Leipzig 3-1 at Ibrox for a 3-2 aggregate in the semi-final 2nd Leg of this season's Europa League. The Gers also beat Borrusia Dortmund on the way to the final against Eintracht. Can they do a memorable hat trick?
Here's the programme cover from that Leipzig match in Glasgow.
5. Below: 1967 saw Celtic win the European Cup, Kilmarnock reach the last four of the Inter Cities Fairs Cup and Rangers lose the Cup Winners Cup final to Bayern 1-0 in Nuremberg. What a performance from Scottish club sides in the same year Scotland became the first international side to beat England after their 1966 World Cup win.
Here's the programme from Rangers second ever European final. Their first ended in defeat to Fiorentina in the Cup Winners Cup final of 1961.
6. Below: Cup Winners Cup Final 1967 Bayern Munich v Rangers - ‘Bulle' Roth scores the winner for Bayern in extra-time in Nuremberg, 31st May 1967.
7. Below: After knocking out Juventus and PSV Eindhoven Rangers played Cologne in the European Cup (now Champions League) Quarter final in 1979. The Gers went down narrowly 1-0 in Germany and then drew the second game 1-1. Sandy Jardine leads Rangers out at Ibrox and Colin Jackson helps out Peter McCloy in the Gers goal by heading off the line in Glasgow.
Rangers were desperately unlucky in one of their best chances to advance to the final of the top Euro trophy.
By Alex Horsburgh, written for @TFHB.
(All pictures borrowed and NOT owned in any form by TFHB)